Skip to main content
- Eliminate hand printed or hand addressed mail.
- Use the correct mailing address with the Department, Suite, Floor, one letter directional's and complete zip+4 whenever possible. Use upper case letters with no punctuation, except for a dash between the zip and the plus 4 (e.g. 87542-5401).
- Use fixed pitch, evenly spaced characters rather than proportional fonts. (All characters take the same amount of space).
- Align all characters to the left. Do not center.
- Place the address no higher than 2 3/4 inches from the bottom of the envelope.
- Eliminate extraneous print around, and especially to the left, of the address. Keep all space clear to the left, right, and below the address.
- Be sure the address is fully visible in window envelopes and doesn't slip out of sight if jogged up, down or sideways. Extraneous print must not be visible through the window.
- Never use red envelopes, it interferes with the red ink the Post Office uses to cancel the stamp.