Q: What is the role of the Small Business Utilization Program Manager?
A: To recruit Small Business to bid on University of Arizona contracts and helping UA Departments meet federal and overall Small Business requirements.
Q: What is a Small Business?
1. A Small Business is one that:
- is organized for profit;
- has a place of business in the United States;
- makes a significant contribution to the U.S. economy by paying taxes or using American products, materials or labor; and
- does not exceed the numerical or earnings size standard for its industry.
2. The Small Business may be a sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation or any other legal form.
3. To qualify as a Small Business for the University of Arizona, and the State of Arizona, the business must have fewer than 100 employees or less than $4 million in sales.
Q: Is there a Bidder's List?
A: No, the University does not maintain a Bidder's list, however the Small Business Utilization Program Manager can assist UA Departments in finding qualified Small Businesses to bid on contracts; and can also assist and provide information to Small Businesses seeking University contracts.
Q: What other services does the Small Business Utilization Program Manager provide for Small Businesses seeking contract opportunities with the University?
1. The Small Business Utilization Program Manager, along with a Senior Buyer, conducts a "How to do Business with the University of Arizona" workshop approximately every two months; and has similar sessions four times a year with the City of Tucson, Pima Community College, Pima County and Raytheon: and
2. Notifies Small Businesses and UA Departments of pertinent business events; partners with federal, state, and local governmental agencies, and corporations, to promote increased opportunities for Small Businesses.
Q: Who oversees the University's federal research subcontract program?
A: The Small Business Utilization Program Manager is responsible for submitting all required information through the Small Business Subcontracting Business Plan prior to award of a Federal Contract; and is also responsible for monitoring and reporting the mandatory participation of Small Business within that contract every six months.
Q: Is it possible to meet with the Small Business Utilization Program Manager?
A: Yes, the Small Business Utilization Program Manager meets one-on-one with individual Small Businesses that want to contract with the University. The Manager also meets with UA Departmental staff seeking Small Businesses to bid on contracts throughout the year.
Q: Does the University have any kind of "Preference Program" for Small Businesses?
A: The Arizona Board of Regents Procurement Code Policy 3-803 D.1 states (in part): Any procurement which does not exceed the aggregate dollar amount of $100,000 shall be restricted, if practicable, to Small Businesses. For additional information, refer to UA Purchasing Policy 4.5.
Also, the Small Business Utilization Program Manager attempts to promote and create more opportunities for all Small Businesses seeking to do business with the University.
- Arizona BuyWays
- Central/AHSC Receiving
- Contracting Office
- Postal Services
- Printing Services
- Purchasing Card
- Purchasing Office
- Records Management & Archives
- Small Business Utilization Program
- Stores Inventory - Alcohol Sales Only
- Surplus Property