Purchasing Card FAQs

Q: What is the Main Customer Service phone # for the PCard Office?

Answer:   Yes, PCard Customer Service at 520-626-9091

Q: If my PCard has been lost or stolen, who do I contact after hours, on weekends or when I am unable to reach PCard Staff?

Answer:  Contact JP Morgan Chase Customer Services at 800-270-7760, and PCard Customer Service at 520-626-9091 and leave a message with all of the details.

Q: Why is my PCard declining?

Answer:  There can be many reasons for a declined PCard attempt.  These may include the following

  • Chip/Pin Card not activated (attempting old card)
  • MCC coding on PCard - Enhancement requirement
  • Merchant side declines
  • Hold placed on PCard by JPMC for verification of validity on attempted transaction

Contact the PCard Customer Service at 520-626-9091 to review decline

Q: What is the Single Transaction Limit Max. for the PCard Program?

Answer:   7/25/17 Single Transaction Limit Max. is $10,000. Note: It is recommended that only increases be requested for cardholders that will have a consistent need for an increased limit. It is recommended that the lowest limit practical be set to minimize risk. Temporary increases are available as options. Please contact the PCard Office for more information 520-626-9091. A Change Form is required for Permanent Limit increases.


Q: Is Hotel Lodging available on the PCard?

Answer:   7/25/17 Yes, Hotel Enhancement is for "UA Employees only" on Travel Status. Discuss with your PCard Liaison(s) if this is an enhancement you are interested in adding.  Note: Travel Enhancement is also required to add the Hotel Enhancement.

Q: Are there any helpful tips/suggestions/notations for Hotel Enhancement?

Answer:   7/25/17 Refer to Policy 6.3

  • Traveler must review and adhere to FSM Policy 14.00 Travel
  • *If a credit card authorization form is required, the cardholder will not include full credit card # (only last 4 digits) nor will the three digit security code be filled in. The cardholder will contact the hotel via phone after faxing the credit card authorization form and provide additional information verbally. Traveler should verify with the hotel all information has been provided and that hotel has this on file for the reservation.

  • UA Employee must present a personal form of payment (i.e. personal credit card) at time of check-in at hotel for all incidentals.

  • Object Codes to be used transaction(s):
    6142 – Travel-In State Hotel
    6242 – Travel-Out of State Hotel
    6342 – Travel-Foreign Hotel

Q: There is a transaction with Merchant Name: International Transaction, is this a fraudulent transaction?

Answer:  Starting with Post Date 4/13/17 due to a banking processor conversion - purchases to an international merchant will have an additional PCDO transaction come through as Merchant Name: International Transaction  this is a 1.5% fee.  * Be sure to mark this as Tax Exempt.  In Edoc Notes/attachments notate/cross-reference original Edoc #, also add this  (International Transaction) edoc # to original receipt. Contact the PCard Office at 520-626-9091 with any questions.

Q: What is a PCard Transaction that begins XFR Bal?

Answer:   PCard Transactions are directly from the bank these are transfers between PCards when there has been a cancellation/reissuance of a PCard.  These transactions must be reconciled and approved in UAF and should be marked Tax Exempt. Notations should be added in UAF cross referencing the original transaction and the XFR Bal(s). Please notify PCard Administration at 520-626-9091 for full instructions on processing these transactions and documentation required.  Please Note: These are different types of transactions than transactions beginning XFRD.

Q: Can I use Edoc# as a searchable criteria on PCard Reports?

Answer:  Yes, Document # has been added as searchable criteria on the reports in:
Financial>General -Purchasing Card>Card Transaction Tab

Q: Do I need to write the Transaction Id # or the Edoc # on original receipts/documents for submission?

Answer: Beginning with the March Pcard statement period, please submit all PCard packets by card holder last name in alphabetical order with the UAccess Financials eDoc# in ascending order within each card holder name OR in ascending order by the PCDO eDoc#. You may use the eDoc#  on the original receipts/documents that will need to be submitted.

Q: Is there an in classroom PCard Training for exam prep, and policy overview?

Answer: Yes, check out the UAccess Learning.  You can also call the PCard Office at 626-9091 for an onsite group training and or refresher training for staff.

Q.  Should airline transactions be marked as tax exempt?

Answer:  To avoid being charged use tax on airline ticket transactions the tax exempt checkbox must be marked.  If you forget to mark the checkbox, a General Error Correction will need to be completed to reverse the use tax.

Q:  Can the PCard be used at Costco?

Answer:  Effective 6/20/16  Costco now accepts VISA at their locations (Be sure to bring the UA Membership Number and use with PCard transactions) Contact the PCard Office for additional information and/or questions.

UAF>Main Menu Tab>Vendor>Vendor Name: Costco*>Click on any of the Vendor Name in results> look for Address tab - Address 2 contains UA Membership info. (Bring Print out to Costco & give # at check out)

Q: What type Exam and/or Training Requirements are there for the PCard Program?


7/25/17 NEW PCard Policy Review/Exam containing Hotel Enhancement and Single Transaction Limit policy changes is required to be added into any additional PCard Department  and/or PCard Role.

  • Liaison(s) are required to completed the PCard Exam in UAccess Learning to be added into the role for a Department.
  • PCard Applications and Transfers (Cardholder Requirements)
  • Adding any enhancement to an existing PCard (Cardholder Requirements)
  • Liaison and/or Reconciler Role (Liaison and Reconciler Requirements)

The Elevated Security Priv. Training is now an annual requirement.

  • The Elev. Security Priv. Training is required to be added into any PCard Role: Liaison or Reconciler.
  • The Elev. Security Priv. Training is required for NEW Applications and Transfers.


Q: What is the difference between a disputable transaction and a fraudulent transaction?


  • Disputable transactions are Merchant Errors or errors in billing between the merchant and cardholder. Some examples include: multiple billing, billing wrong amount, billing without receiving merchandise, billing on a canceled order.
  • Fraud is defined as unauthorized transaction(s) made with a lost, stolen, compromised or counterfeit card/ card number.

Q: What should I do if I am about to dispute a transaction?

Answer: Contact the PCard Office at 626-9091 to discuss the situation prior to initiation of a dispute. PCard Staff will review scenario and provide information on the dispute process.

Q: What if Fraudulent Transaction is discovered and you are unable to reach the PCard Staff, it's after hours, or it's the weekend?


  • Contact JPMorgan Chase Customer Service at 800-270-7760 - they will assist in cancellation/reissuance of PCard.
  • Also contact PCard Customer Service at 520-626-9091 and leave a message with all the details.
  • The PCard Office will contact you with additional steps necessary depending on the type of PCard issued (Individual or Department PCard). Steps will include: UAPD will need to be contacted for a case number.

Q: What Analytics report should I run in lieu of the PCard Statement?


  • Financial>General -Purchasing Card>Card Transaction Tab>Transaction Detail by Organization (Enter criteria i.e. last four digits of the PCard, Organization Name) run this report using (Post date criteria between) use billing cycle dates from the PCard website.

Q:  How can I quickly look up my department's PCard(s) in UAccess Financials?


  • In UAccess Financials -Click on Maintenance Tab>under Financial Processing click on Procurement Cardholder>enter default org code click search  (Note: if you have multi department #'s you'll need to search using other criteria or use separate searches) Another good criteria to use is Reconcilers Group name
  • In Analytics - you can also look up this information (Keep in mind this is a day delayed from UAccess Financials) Financial>General -Purchasing Card>Cardholders Tab>enter your criteria i.e. last 4 digits, Organization Name, Reconciler Group Name, Cardholder Name)  use the Cardholder Profile Report

Q: What types of Card Enhancements are available on the PCard?

Answer:  Refer to the Policy Manual regarding these types of Enhancements

1. PCard Plus: Code 954

  • Business Meetings, Business Entertainment, Employee Farewell, Employee Recognition/Service Awards

2. Travel Enhancement: Code 957

  • Employee Travel and Non-Employee Travel

3. Hotel Enhancement: Code 960

  • Employee Lodging only -refer to Policy 6.3   Note: Travel Enhancement is also required to add Hotel Enhancement.

Q.  Regarding unallowable tips exceeding 20% Is this pre-tax or post-tax?


  Unallowable: Tips to merchants (i.e. restaurants) exceeding 20% of total bill.
  Reference: Policy 9.10 Requisitions/Reimbursements

Q: My PCard is expiring soon, do I need to contact the bank?


No, you do not need to contact the bank. During the month of the PCard expiration date the bank will send the PCard directly to the address associated with the PCard. Look for a plain white envelope to arrive. However, if you do not receive the PCard prior to one week of expiration contact the PCard Office 520-626-9091.

Q: Does JP Morgan Chase require my Social Security Number when activating my PCard?


No, the bank may ask for your Social Security Number however, you should provide them with the last four digits of your your Employee Identification Number (EMPL ID) which is on file with the bank.

Q: My PCard has the PCard Plus Enhancement on it, but it declined when I was booking a meeting room at a hotel or having a Business Meeting at Restaurant. Why did this happen?


  • Hotel/Lodging is not permitted on the PCard and as such the Merchant Category Codes are blocked. Contact PCard Customer Service at 520-626-9091 for assistance.
  • Some Hotel restaurants code themselves as hotels which is why this declined.
  • Note: Make sure that any contract requiring a signature has been reviewed and approved by Procurement & Contracting Services. 

Q: Who can make change requests (limit increases, number of transactions) on my PCard?


Only the Department Liaison can request changes to a PCard.

Q: What should I do with my PCard if I am going to be out on extended leave, or vacation?


  • If you are an Individual PCard cardholder contact your department Liaison as request they have your PCard placed on a Temporary hold until you return to work.
  • If you are the Responsible Cardholder of a Department PCard, ask your liaison to complete a transfer form assigning someone new as the Responsible Cardholder. Another transfer form will be required to change responsible cardholder status back to you upon your return.

Q: After faxing over a Delete Form do I need to mail the original to the PCard Office?


No. The PCard Office will email the liaison confirmation of cancellation/deletion within one business day. Please do not send original.

Q: When is the billing cycle date and when will my limits refresh?


The bank billing cycle date is the 6th of the month.

  • If the 6th is on a Saturday the billing cycle date changes to Friday the 5th.
  • If the 6th is on a Sunday the billing cycle date changes to Monday the 7th.
  • The limit refresh date is on the day following the billing cycle date.

Q: Does the PCard Office conduct on-site Department Refresher Policy Trainings?


Yes, If a Department has staff that they feel could benefit from a refresher policy training, contact PCard Customer Service at 520-626-9091.

Q: Can a student or part-time employee get a PCard?


A PCard can be issued to an Employee that has a UAccess active paid status.

Q: Can I let another employee use my Individual PCard?


No, you cannot share your individual PCard with another employee. However, you can make purchases on behalf of another employee.

Q: Can a Department PCard be checked out to Non-UA employee?


No, you cannot check out a Department PCard to a Non-UA Paid Employee (Non-UA Paid Employee examples include; Students, Volunteers, and DCC's)

Q: What are the differences of: an Individual PCard and a Department PCard?


  • An Individual PCard is an Individual credit card in the employee’s name to be used for University business expenses that are directly paid from University funds.
  • A Department PCard is a transferable credit card (via proper forms) in the name of the department to be used for University business related expenses that are directly paid from University funds.

Q: Can I use a Sponsored Projects account on a PCard Transaction?


Yes, all policies and procedures governing a sponsored account apply in the PCard Program.

  • Note: Sponsored Project account numbers cannot be used as defaults.
  • Note: Sponsored Project account numbers cannot be used on PCard Plus transactions.

Q: What Object Codes are exempt from Use Tax?



Q: What documentation is required on PCard Transactions?

Answer:  Refer to the Guidelines for PCard Documentation Submission

Q. What is the contact number for FSO Compliance staff and the PCard Scanning staff?

Answer: 520-621-9097

Q: How do I know if my PCard transaction(s) will be a FY1X or FY1Y PCDO?

Answer:   PCard Transactions can have Post Dates that are several days after the transaction is actually made. When making purchases near fiscal year end, keep in mind that PCard Transactions
must have a POST DATE of 6/30/1X or earlier to be considered FY1X.

Q: Are there consumer quantities of items such as; Spray Paint, Dry Ice, and Helium tank that can be purchased on the PCard?

Answer:  Yes, Please refer to PCard Policy 8.1 Restrictions/Requirements/Limitations If purchasing items listed on Restricted chart a notation should be added into the Notes/attachments on the Edoc. Indicating Consumer quantity as listed in 8.1 with details.

Q: Where can I find out more details on Transportation/Storage/Handing of items?

Answer: More details regarding items that are under Policy 8.1  related to Restricted (7) can be found on the Risk Management  website